Location: HQ - San Mateo, California, United States
A bit about Scalyr
Scalyr’s mission is to build the best tool for engineers to understand their operational systems. Our CEO, Steve Newman, cofounded Writely (aka Google Docs). Frustrated by the fact that visibility tools – even Google’s in-house tools – weren’t keeping up, Steve started Scalyr to create a better solution. It’s lightning fast, feature-rich and customers love it. The opportunity in front of us is huge and we are still in the very early days. This is going to be one of those companies where people will look back and say “I wish I’d been there when…” well, this is your chance to be part of “when”.
You will define our platform by joining us in San Mateo building the technical bridges from our massive storage backend to the user-facing frontend. This includes defining the future API consumed by our frontends, building new backend services, and creating major platform features from scratch. If topics like grpc, REST, and microservices sound like your kind of gig, we should talk.
You will program primarily in modern Java, with occasional Python and Bash. You will use GitHub for git and Pull Requests, build with maven and Jenkins, and deploy to AWS. We dogfood like crazy, so you will become a Scalyr expert in production.
- Fluent in Java or a similar language
- Practical experience with RPCs in distributed systems
- Proven programming skill through a relevant 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- Generalist with a hacker mentality. You have a track record of powering through roadblocks.
- A natural drive to produce clean, well-tested code
- You can break a complex distributed system down into components with clean interfaces
- Familiarity with the basics of AWS or similar cloud environments
- Competitive salary & equity at a fast growing startup
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Free lunch
- Flexible schedule
- Unlimited vacations
- Paid parental leave
- Optional company hikes a couple days per week
- Easygoing, low-stress, considerate and fun office environment
- Whatever equipment you need to get the job done
Our commitment to diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply to this position