Scalyr Tips + Tricks
Copy and search selection
Dragging a selection of log text (or double clicking to select all) will let you right-click and copy the term. You can also narrow your search on the selected text by clicking filter for, exclude it from the current search or start a new search with it included:
Explore new terms without closing the current search
When refining a search, it's sometimes useful to duplicate the browser tab to explore new terms without losing the current search. In Google Chrome, right-click on the tab and select duplicate and continue refining in the new tab.
Use our command-line utility to download search results
The query command allows you to not only search and filter your logs, but retrieve raw log data as well. The following command lets you get the latest 1000 entries in the log tagged as source=accessLog and download them in csv format with the columns status and uriPath. scalyr query '$source="accessLog"' --output=csv --columns='status,uriPath' --count=1000
Use the Search Action Menu
Click the "Actions" button on the left hand side of the search bar to display actions you can perform on your current search. This menu lets you save a search or access previously saved searches.
- Save search - Displays a dialog box that will save the search to either your personal or team's list of saved searches. These are available in the Search menu at the top of the page.
- Edit search text - Edit the search field directly.
- Start over - Erase your current search (the Search, Server/Host, and Log fields), allowing you to start a fresh search over all of your logs.
- Get permalink - Get a link to this search.
- Add to dashboard - Add this search to an existing dashboard, or start a new dashboard with this search.
- Add as Alert - Create a new alerting rule, which will trigger if the number of matches to your current search goes above or below a level you specify.
In the new UI: Through the Search menu at the top of the page you can perform the same "Save search" action as described under Action Menu (1) or access previously saved searches (2). Clicking on "Save search" will open up the following dialog that will give you the option of adding it to your search menu at the top of the page or to everyone in your Scalyr account's search menu:
In the old UI you can perform the same save actions using "Save Search..." on the search page.
- In Personal Searches - Save this search and add it to your search menu at the top of the page
- In Shared Searches - Save this search and add it to everyone in this Scalyr account's search menu at the top of the page
- In Dashboard - Add this search to an existing dashboard, or start a new dashboard with this search.
- As Alert - Create a new alerting rule which will trigger if the numer of matches to your current search goes above or below a level you specify