Location: HQ - San Mateo, California, United States
A bit about Scalyr
Scalyr’s mission is to build the best tool for engineers to understand their operational systems. Our founder, Steve Newman, co-founded Writely (aka Google Docs). Frustrated by the fact that visibility tools – even Google’s in-house tools – weren’t keeping up, Steve started Scalyr to create a better solution. It’s lightning fast, feature-rich and customers love it. The opportunity in front of us is huge and we are still in the very early days. This is going to be one of those companies where people will look back and say “I wish I’d been there when…” well, this is your chance to be part of “when”.
Are you a hands-on UI architect who is passionate about designing and developing a highly performant, robust frontend with an amazing user experience? Do you relish solving UI problems that represent data ingested at 1.5 TB/sec? Do you enjoy coming up with creative solutions to technical challenges? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
We are looking for an extraordinary UI architect to guide the frontend architecture and shape product decisions. As the Frontend Architect, you will work with the rest of engineering to develop the frontend stack to support Search, Dashboards, Alerts, and other product areas.
- Define the technical architecture for our frontend, and ensure adherence to UI architectural standards and best practices.
- Drive a culture of technical curiosity, innovative thinking, continuous improvement, product ownership and data-driven decision-making.
- Understand the whole product, and lead key initiatives working with backend teams to solve problems at scale.
- Collaborate with product and customer success teams to get customer feedback and incorporate into feature development.
- Define and drive adoption of design patterns, performance, coding and quality standards and software development processes.
- Act in a technical leadership capacity: identify new and emerging technologies for adoption; help code the architectural foundation for new features/product areas; perform code reviews against product specifications and apply your technical expertise to challenging problems.
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to engineers to continuously improve design and code quality
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- You focus on the customer and the product, coupling it with a desire to learn, respond to feedback and grow.
- You have enjoyed leading the architecture of a small to medium sized product/feature with a team of 8-10 engineers.
- You excel in a fast-moving, data-driven, collaborative environment that has a bias towards quick, high quality deliveries and MVP approaches.
- You love hands-on coding on a daily basis.
- You are at-ease when collaborating with groups of 10-20.
- You spearheaded creating a front end testing infrastructure and CI workflow currently working in production at scale.
- You thrive on performance testing and scaling frontend applications.
- You enjoy writing clear, concise, “just-enough” software design documents.
- You have the ability to communicate with clarity and brevity across management and engineers.
- You understand that being a good leader also means to be a good follower.
- Masters in Computer Science or other related areas.
How to really knock our socks off:
- You have contributed to open source FE frameworks.
- You understand logs, traces and metrics.
- You have delivered products that have resulted in measurable improvements in user engagement, UX consistency, performance.
- Competitive salary & equity at a fast growing startup
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Free lunch
- Flexible schedule
- Unlimited vacations
- Paid parental leave
- Easygoing, low-stress, considerate and fun office environment
- Whatever equipment you need to get the job done
Our commitment to diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply to this position