Location: HQ - San Mateo, California, United States
A bit about Scalyr
Scalyr’s mission is to build the best tool for engineers to understand their operational systems. Our founder, Steve Newman, cofounded Writely (aka Google Docs). Frustrated by the fact that visibility tools – even Google’s in-house tools – weren’t keeping up, Steve started Scalyr to create a better solution. It’s lightning fast, feature-rich and customers love it. The opportunity in front of us is huge and we are still in the very early days. This is going to be one of those companies where people will look back and say “I wish I’d been there when…” well, this is your chance to be part of “when”
We are growing fast and thanks to the unique purpose-build database technology laid by Steve. Our solution operates at Petabyte scale, brag blazing fast search and make data available for searches in ~2 seconds past ingesting. “Existing log management tools were often slow and clunky, so we were facing a challenge, but the good kind — an opportunity to deliver a new user experience through solid engineering”. With Scalyr, we keep users like you “in the zone” as they handle incidents or debug cloud applications.
You will have the opportunity to gain excellent on-the-job experience working for a fast-moving software division building full-stack microservices. You will develop performant, scalable applications that are translated into 23 languages and used in 192 countries. Scale messages per second processing throughput. Scale large volume of time based data. Applications run in Amazon Web Services and you will leverage Docker, AngularJS, WebPack, Bootstrap, TypeScript, NodeJS, C# .NET Core and Apache Kafka. Come join us if you like solving hard scaling problems that involve billions of rows.
- Prior Kubernetes experience: orchestration in production (kubectl, kops, rancher)
- Great sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure at scale
- Must consider yourself a developer and enjoy writing code.
- Prior scripting language: such as Python, Bash,, Ant, etc.
- Continuous Integration (CI): Jenkins, Hudson, TeamCity, Bamboo
- Experience with modern alerting and monitoring tools
- Has a positive “can do” attitude. Try to figure out how to do something without understanding all the data points.
- CI/CD: Codefresh or Jenkins / Spinnaker
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services
- Observability: Prometheus, Grafana, Kibana
- Tech blogs
- Experience developing large-scale distributed systems
We are looking for a hands-on developer with a passion for automation to transform our build and deploy systems moving to containers with Kubernetes as the orchestrator. Come work on an exciting new project used in every country in the world with the latest technologies where your efforts will dramatically impact over 100 developers while saving the company money. You will be designing and improving our next generation continuous integration / continuous delivery system.
The ideal candidate will have a strong aversion to manual installs or any documentation that results in repeating tasks that could be automated. We need a self-starter, who, given a rough definition of success will drive to a solution utilizing necessary resources including custom programming. For example, we would expect you to have the ability to create a process to spawn x number of Jenkins slaves in AWS with all the necessary build tools installed. The ideal candidate must be comfortable with the unknown, and not afraid to try new processes and technologies. They should have the ability to identify multiple options and pick the best path. We also need someone who understands CI tools well enough to test and troubleshoot issues, then identify and resolve those failures. The candidate should understand networking well enough to troubleshoot and correct DNS and port issues.
SRE is a space that is rapidly changing and we are looking for someone who is not willing to settle for “we have always done it that way” thinking. This individual will need to be tenacious, and have a healthy disrespect for the impossible. This position will lead a small ops team.
- Competitive salary & equity at a fast growing startup
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Short-term disability, long term disability, and life insurance
- Free lunch
- Unlimited vacations
- Paid parental leave
- Easygoing, low-stress, considerate and fun office environment
- Whatever equipment you desire to get the job done
Our commitment to diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply to this position